Saturday, May 13, 2006

Required Readings and Book Reports

We were on the topic of giving books to read and then making it compulsory. I told this story during the party last night that I made everyone do a presentation on the books I gave them...a book report. Initially, I just gave my colleagues books to read. It was an encouragement of reading habits and continous self-development. However, I made everyone do a presentation because one of my sales manager told me in a disparaging manner that she will let me know when she read it. I do know not everyone enjoys reading or learning. I did not realise my ex-colleagues was probably thinking what a self-serving person I am to force others to read.

I want to use this blog to clarify my stand further. I actually stop book presentations after feedback from my team and move to self-development and self discovery. We did personality tests, IQ tests, Communication Styles, Management Styles, etc. Basically, everything I was taught during my days in Baxter Canada where I was under Executive Development scheme for High Potential and Retention Risk Managers.

I like to go on record that it is up to the individual to learn or read or NOT to as they wish. My only caution for my team members who make it clear that they have no wish to learn further is not to expect huge growth in income and they must be able to adapt to the changes the company is undergoing. Carol Cheong in Isuta is one who told me she is happy doing what she is doing and after she told me, I stopped asking her about when she is going to take a course.

I also have two ladies who worked for me in Contracts Department in Baxter Canada who said they are past 60 years old and have no wish to go to "school". My response was as long as they keep adapting to the changes the company is making, it is fine with me. However, if they stopped, please do not be surprised if they are layoff. They are fine with that too.

Hopefully, I turnaround some negative impressions...

No comments: