Saturday, February 17, 2018

Chinese New Year Day 2

It was mad rush to clean up the house during eve and also I got myself into a big project of changing the plunger for the toilet in my boy's room.  The water closet was leaking and I had to change the plunger.  I thought it is just take out the water tank and put in the new plunger.  Boy!, was I mistaken!  The metal that holds the tank to the toilet completely rusted.  It was almost impossible to remove. 

My wife went to Google this problem and the best recommendation is to saw off the part.  Sawing takes more than 2 hours.  The rust is stubborn, the tank is made of porcelain and I had spray the rust liberally with WD40.  First, WD40 is unable to work through the rust.  Then it made the porcelain extremely slippery and the rust is thick.  These combination made it very hard to work in a confine space.  Finally, I manage to remove the rust and fit in the new plunger. 

To add insult to injury, the leakage came back after 2 days.  So it maybe another part I have to replace.  Now the plumbing shop is closed until Feb 23.  So I will have to wait until then to get more parts.

Or I need to remove the tank and look at my installation.  I may have done something wrongly.

No comments: