Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Kidney Stone Strike Again

It started with a discomfort on the right lower abdomen at 7am. Felt like stomachache. Go to the toilet a couple of times to try to expel the pain. The pain become more and more intense. I look into the mirror. I began to sweat and then sweat profusely. My body is reacting to the pain. Finally at about 10am, I decided to go to the hospital. By then, the pain was excruciating and almost killing me i.e. dying would be a relief.
Good thing is hospital is only 15mins away and also good to have doctor as my classmate. He attended to me almost immediately. He prescribe an injection of a super painkiller which contains morphine. Time expanded. Man! Every second is like a minute. There were some procedure. I have to go to A&E and he has to come over to sign some papers as this is classified under poison act. After what seems like eternity, Elisabeth the A&E nurse gave me two jabs. One for the pain and the other to take care of the side effect which is prevent nausea and vomitting. After that I have to go for a CT scan. The offending stone is still there. It is now 6 mm.
I decided to take it out. At 2:30pm, I was wheeled into the Operating Theatre. The anesthesiologist is my primary school classmate. Breathe in deeply, she instructed me. After four breaths, I slipped into unconciousness. By the time I wake up, I am in recovery. It is one hour and five minutes and the "blackout" is quite disorienting. Seems like it is only one min that I was "sleeping".
Then back to the ward. The after effects of the anesthesia continues. I was feeling great that I am concious. Then I get dizzy spells. The urge and need to lie down is strong. It is hard to stay up. The car ride on the way home makes me car sick. I threw out immediately after reaching home. Good thing I did not eat much. I fell asleep right away.
I wake up at half past two in the morning and get some work done and record this chapter of my journey in life.

No comments: