Sunday, April 13, 2008

From Kidney Stones to Gall Bladder Stones

Stones can hurt and can immense pain. As you know, I had kidney stones and it was one of my most painful episodes I can remember. Toothache was my other terrible nemesis. Last night, my father-in-law was in huge pain. His abdomen was tender and extremely sensitive to touch. Light touch cause him to wince in pain. He was send to Tan Tock Seng and they did a CAT scan and found his gall bladder obstructed and inflamed. He had to be operated immediately. At 1am in the morning he was wheeled into the operating theatre and the offending gall bladder was removed. He came out of the operation at 4am in the morning. The wonder of modern medicine!
He is now in high dependency unit and his stomach is under suction so that he does not have any food. This is to give his intestine a chance to rest. He is also give PCA or patient controlled analgesia. PCA allow him to control the doses of painkiller. Research has clearly demonstrated that patient controlled analgesia uses less doses and less drugs for the pain. So I am glad our government hospital is up to date with medical treatment.

No comments: